Legal Food Frenzy 2011
Legal Food Frenzy 2011
Help Fight Hunger in Massachusetts!
Please in Massachusetts' second annual "Legal Food Frenzy " sponsored by the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office in partnership with the legal community.
The Legal Food Frenzy is a benevolent competition within the legal community to raise funds and collect food to benefit food banks and their member agencies, food pantries and shelters during the spring, a traditionally slow time for donations.
The first annual Legal Food Frenzy was piloted in the Greater Boston area and benefitted the Greater Boston Food Bank, which provides food to 600 hunger-relief agencies (such as food pantries and soup kitchens) throughout eastern Massachusetts. Over 46 law firms, law schools and legal associations participated in the competition in 2010 and collectively raised 350,000 pounds of food (which includes its equivalent in monetary donations), providing an additional 180,000 meals for hungry families in eastern Massachusetts. See photos from the 2010 kickoff and the 2010 Legal Food Frenzy Cup award winners here.
In 2011, the Legal Food Frenzy will be expanded to benefit all four Massachusetts Food Banks and donations will serve the entire Commonwealth. The competition will be held from March 28, 2011 - April 8, 2011.
In these tough financial times, the role of food banks have become even more crucial as more and more Massachusetts residents are seeking help to put food on the table. There continues to be a significant need for more food, and the spring is the time of year when contributions are typically at their lowest.
Some hunger facts about Massachusetts as released by The Greater Boston Food Bank:
- Massachusetts food banks provide emergency hunger-relief services to an estimated 801,200 people annually.
- One in 11 people in the Commonwealth visit a food pantry, soup kitchen or shelter.
- The number of people using the emergency food assistance network has grown by 23 percent since 2006.
- More than one in three households served has a child under the age of 18.
- Over 10% of those who receive emergency food assistance are 65 or older.
- 57% of the people served have to choose between food and rent, medicine, or heat.
Read the full report on hunger in Massachusetts here.
Our goal for the 2011 "Legal Food Frenzy" is to bring in 500,000 pounds of food (or its equivalent in monetary donations) during the two week campaign.
What is the "Legal Food Frenzy?"
- Legal organizations to participate.
- A volunteer coordinator from each organization receives campaign posters, creative (and fun) fundraising tips and guidance on how to run a campaign.
- Non-perishable food items and money are collected during the "Legal Food Frenzy" campaign period. Note: $1 raised is treated as the equivalent of four pounds of food collected.
- The legal organization that raises the most food and/or money per capita (most food/money raised as a percentage of total employees) during the two week period is awarded the Legal Food Frenzy Cup, a trophy which is presented by the Attorney General at a public event, in recognition of the winning organization's commitment to fighting hunger.
- The winning organization's name is engraved on the trophy.
- The Legal Food Frenzy Cup is held by the winning organization for one year.
How Can I participate?
Please fill out the or contact Emalie Gainey at email@example.com or 617-963-2015 for more information or if you are interested in participating.
Click the link to find out more about the rules and some ideas .
This is a great opportunity to help hungry families in these tough times. We encourage you join in our efforts and help make a difference in someone's life today.
Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts
Attleboro Bar Association
Boston Bar Association
Bristol County Bar Association
Dukes County Bar Association
Fall River Bar Association
Hampden County Bar Association
Hampshire County Bar Association
Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorneys
Massachusetts Black Women Attorneys
Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association
New Bedford Bar Association
Plymouth County Bar Association
South Asian Bar Association of Greater Boston
Taunton Bar Association
Women's Bar Association
Worcester County Bar Association