In an emergency, such as a chemical spill, immediately contact your local fire department and call the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection’s (MassDEP) 24-hour Emergency Response line at 1 (888) 304-1133.

In addition, if you see or suspect illegal activity that is placing people's health or natural resources at risk, call the Environmental Strike Force at (617) 556-1000 (Boston area) or 1 (888) VIOLATE (1-888-846-5283; toll-free from elsewhere in Massachusetts).

For information on reporting particular types of environmental violations (air and water pollution, improper waste disposal, and other violations), please see MassDEP’s Environmental Complaint assistance page. You may also report suspected environmental violations using MassDEP’s online Environmental Complaint form.

Some environmental violations should first be reported to the agency responsible for administering and enforcing those environmental and public health and safety laws. Below is a quick guide to locating the appropriate agency for reporting those violations:

Wetlands Violations

To report a wetlands violation, such as the alteration or filling in of a marsh, contact MassDEP or the local Conservation Agent or Conservation Commission by calling your city or town hall.

Environmental Health Violations

To report an environmental health issue, contact your town's Board of Health or the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. These agencies are responsible for investigating and enforcing the state sanitary and housing codes. Your town's Board of Health also addresses nuisance issues, enforces noise ordinances, and oversees issues involving septic systems.

Lead paint violations should be reported to the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program in the Department of Public Health.

Complaints about improper removal, handling, or disposal of asbestos-containing material should be reported to MassDEP. For more information about the regulations governing asbestos hazards, see MassDEP’s asbestos program and information page.

Pesticide Application Violations

To report an illegal pesticide application, contact the Pesticides Program by calling the pesticide enforcement  hotline at 617-626-1781.

Endangered Species Violations

To report a violation that may affect endangered species, contact the National Heritage and Endangered Species Program. For more information about reporting observations of rare species in the Commonwealth, see the NHESP information page.

For more information about the Commonwealth’s environmental laws and programs, please see this page with general descriptions of all environmental agencies within the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affair