The Policy & Government Division assists in the development and advancement of Attorney General Maura Healey’s policy and legislative priorities. The team works with divisions across the Office to develop a proactive policy agenda aimed at ensuring that everyone in Massachusetts has access to equal treatment under the law, a healthy environment, affordable health care, a transparent and open government, safe neighborhoods, and is protected from abusive practices in the marketplace. In addition to the Office’s own initiatives, the Policy & Government Division articulates the Office’s positions on legislation proposed by members of the Massachusetts Legislature and the United States Congress, and helps develop and respond to state and federal regulations.
Working with attorneys and staff from across the Office, the Division is actively engaged in advancing meaningful change in several priority areas, including:
- Combating the prescription drug and heroin epidemic;
- Reforming our criminal justice system;
- Promoting health care access and affordability;
- Encouraging the development of cost-effective renewable energy and fighting climate change;
- Protecting workers and consumers;
- Enhancing data privacy and security for consumers and businesses;
- Ensuring accountability from the gaming industry;
- Reducing gun violence; and
- Targeting sexual violence, domestic violence, and human trafficking.
The Division also responds to inquiries from members of the Massachusetts congressional delegation, state legislators, executive agencies, and local officials made on behalf of their constituents, and helps those constituents access the many resources available within the Attorney General’s Office.
The Policy & Government Division reflects AG Healey’s commitment to community engagement and a productive and cooperative relationship with Massachusetts lawmakers, public officials, advocates, and other stakeholders in the policy making process.
- Testimony before Massachusetts Legislature on Tax Foreclosure Reform file size 2MB (June 2015)
- Testimony on An Act to Prevent Unnecessary Vacancies in Foreclosed Homes (May 2015)
- Letter to U.S. Department of Education on For-Profit Schools (April 2015)
- Testimony before U.S. Congress About Proposed Data Breach Legislation file size 2MB (March 2015)
- Proposed E-cigarette Regulations (March 2015)
- AGO Policy to Protect Transgender and Gender Non-conforming Individuals (June 2015)
- Amicus Brief Urging Supreme Court to Uphold the Right to Marry Nationwide (March 2015)
Energy & Environment
- Letter to Massachusetts Legislature on Solar Programs and Net Metering (June 2015)
- Letter to U.S. Congress on Reauthorization of the Magnuson-Stevens Act file size 3MB (June 2015)
- Defense of EPA’s Efforts to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Power Plants (June 2015)
- Support of U.S. Senate Bill on Toxic Chemicals (March 2015)
- Testimony to Massachusetts Gaming Commission (January 2015)