Because auto insurance is mandatory, you can only cancel your required insurance coverages if you return your license plates to the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) or if you switch to a new insurance company. If you are canceling your policy without starting a new one, your insurance company will require you to send them a plate receipt from the RMV before they will cancel your policy. Please note that if your plates are lost or stolen you must obtain a lost/stolen plate receipt from the RMV and provide this receipt to your insurance company in order to cancel your policy.

If you would like to change your insurance company, you have 30 days from the date your policy began or renews to make this change, otherwise you may be charged a penalty.

There is no penalty for canceling your optional coverages. You can cancel any or all of your optional coverages at any time during the policy year by sending a written request to your insurance company.