• Student Lending Assistance

    Are you having trouble paying your student loans or experiencing difficulty with your student loan servicer?  If so, the Attorney General’s Office may be able to help. The Attorney General’s Insurance & Financial Services Division provides a hotline, 1-888-830-6277, and free mediation service to borrowers who are having difficulties with student loans.

    For example, the Attorney General’s Office can help you:

    • explore your student loan repayment options, including applying for federal income-driven repayment plans;
    • avoid default or get your loans out of default;
    • resolve billing disputes with your loan servicer;
    • stop harassing collection calls; or
    • apply (in rare cases) for discharges of your federal loans, including discharges based on disability or the closure of your school.

    When submitting a Student Lending Request for Assistance, it is important that you describe your student loan situation in as much detail as possible.

    Your request will be reviewed by the Insurance and Financial Services Division in the order in which it was received.  It is very important that you continue to meet any deadlines with your loan servicer or the Department of Education while you are waiting to hear from us.  If your request is not appropriate for our program, or if it would be better handled by a different government agency, we will refer you to that agency.

    The Attorney General's Office cannot provide you with legal advice or act as your attorney.  If you have questions concerning the specific application or interpretation of the law, please consult with a private attorney.

    You may wish to collect some information about your student loans.  In order to determine whether your loans are federal or private, you can create an FSA ID with the U.S. Department of Education.  With your FSA ID, you can log into NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System) and see a full list of all of your federal student loans, along with servicer contact information, interest rates, principal balances, and other useful information.  Private student loans are not tracked in any database, but may be listed on your credit report.  You can obtain a free copy of your credit report once a year from one of the each of the three major credit agencies.

    Additional resources on managing student loan debt include: