While you can now work without first acquiring a special work permit, the child labor protections no longer apply. However, there are significant worker safety and designed to protect your rights.

Your employer must pay you at least ($9/hour in MA).

Your employer must provide a safe and healthy workplace.

For each hour over 40 that you work per week, your employer must pay you .

There are important provisions regarding what information must be on your pay stub and how you accrue time off.

You have the right to:


As an employed adult, you are responsible for filing taxes.

Taxes will come out of your paycheck for: state income taxes, federal income taxes, Medicare, and Social Security (FICA).

You must also file your taxes by April 15 th of every year.

Visit the Massachusetts Department of Revenue's site for information about filing taxes.