M.G.L. c. 272, s. 92A, defines a place of public accommodation as "any place, whether licensed or unlicensed, which is open to and accepts or solicits the patronage of the general public." Places of public accommodation include:
- Hotels, inns, motels, campgrounds, resorts;
- Restaurants, bars, and other establishments serving food or drink;
- Theaters, concert halls, sports stadiums, and other places of entertainment;
- Auditoriums, convention centers, lecture halls, houses of worship, and other places of public gathering;
- Sales and rental establishments, including stores, shopping centers, automobile rental agencies, and other retail establishments;
- Service establishments, including laundromats, dry-cleaners, banks, barber shops, travel agents, gas stations, funeral parlors, employment agencies, and providers of professional services such as lawyers, doctors, dentists, accountants, and insurance agents;
- Health care facilities, including dental and medical offices, pharmacies, clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, and other health facilities;
- Transportation vehicles of all types and transportation stations, terminals, depots, platforms and facilities appurtenant thereto;
- Museums, libraries, galleries, and other places of public display or collection;
- Parks, zoos, amusement parks, and other places of recreation;
- Child care centers, senior citizens centers, homeless shelters, food banks, adoption agencies, and other social service establishments;
- Gymnasiums, health spas, bowling alleys, swimming pools, beaches, golf courses, and other places of exercises or recreation.
If You Are a Victim
The AGO accepts and reviews complaints concerning discrimination in places of public accommodation. If you believe you have experienced discrimination in a place of public accommodation, you may contact the Civil Rights Division of the AGO at (617) 727-2200, or you may file a civil rights complaint. In addition you may file a complaint with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination at (617) 994-6000, or the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at (617) 565-3200.