The National Personnel Records Center offers Military personnel records can be used for proving military service, or as a valuable tool in genealogical research. Most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) and other military and medical records several ways. You can start the request online through the eVetRecs System (, or you can download form SF-180 ( to mail or fax in your request. Please note the following information will be required regardless of the method of request:

  • The veteran’s complete name used while in service,
  • Service number or social security number,
  • Branch of service,
  • Dates of service,
  • Date and place of birth may also be helpful, especially if the service number is not known,
  • If the request pertains to a record that may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:
    • Place of discharge,
    • Last unit of assignment,
    • Place of entry into the service, if known

Information on where to send the request will be provided either at the end of the online request form or on page 3 of the Form SF-180.