Women Veterans

Women veterans receive the same healthcare benefits as all veterans and the VA provides a full range of healthcare services to both genders. In 1992 the Veterans Healthcare Act expanded the services available to women veterans at many VA medical facilities. The VA now provides routine and specialty women’s health care including preventative screenings, obstetrics and gynecological services, limited infertility treatment, and breast care. For more information about VA healthcare call 1-877-222-8387, or view the VA Health Care section of this guide.

The Women Veterans’ Network of the Massachusetts Department of Veterans’ Services is a resource for women veterans in Massachusetts. It has a database of 12,000 women veterans who receive a biannual newsletter with information on benefits, programs, and events for women veterans. To receive the newsletter, please use the contact below. The Women’s Veterans Network provides women veterans with information on federal, state, and local benefits; expands awareness of the needs of women veterans; identifies available health and human resources to meet those needs; and advocates on behalf of women veterans in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Contact:

Women Veterans’ Network
600 Washington St., 7th Floor
Boston, MA 02111 

Phone: (617) 210-5781
Fax: 617-210-5755
Email: DVSWomen@vet.state.ma.us

Non-U.S. Citizens

Active duty servicemembers and certain veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to apply for United States citizenship under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Generally, service in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or certain reserve components of the National Guard and the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve is required for eligibility. The requirements for applying for citizenship also vary depending on whether the veteran or active duty military servicemember served in wartime or peacetime.

Peacetime Service

Section 328 of the Immigration and Nationality Act applies to all members of the U.S. Armed Forces or those already discharged from service. An individual may qualify for naturalization if he or she has:

  • Served honorably for at least one year.
  • Obtained lawful permanent resident status.
  • Filed an application while still in the service or within six months of separation.

Wartime Service

All immigrants who have served honorably on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces or as a member of the Selected Ready Reserve on or after September 11, 2001 are eligible to file for immediate citizenship under the special wartime provisions in Section 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. This section also covers veterans of designated past wars and conflicts.

Every military installation has a designated point-of-contact to handle citizenship applications and to complete a Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service (N-426). Servicemembers should inquire through your chain of command to find the appropriate point-of-contact. For more information call the USCIS toll-free military help line at 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645).

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Veterans

If you are an LGBT veteran or servicemember, you may find additional resources though the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network for more information:

P.O. Box 65301
Washington, DC 20035-5301
Phone: (202) 328-3244 or (202) 328-FAIR
Fax: (202) 797-1635

Email: sldn@sldn.org