VA Programs

Severely disabled veterans or servicemembers may need to modify their home or move to a new home that can accommodate their service-connected disabilities. For example, a veteran in a wheelchair may require ramps instead of stairs and wider doors throughout his or her home.

Under 38 U.S.C. § 21, veterans or servicemembers who have specific service-connected disabilities may be entitled to a grant from the VA for the purpose of constructing an adapted home or modifying an existing home to meet the veteran’s needs. Temporary grants may be available for smaller adaptations of the home of a family member of the veteran, such as a parent, if the veteran will be staying with the family member while recovering. The goal of the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant Program is to provide veterans with barrier-free living environments.

For more information about the VA’s Specially Adapted Housing Grant Program, call the regional loan center or visit the website at: To apply for a grant, complete VA Form 26-4555, Veteran’s Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant, and submit it to:

Manchester Regional Loan Center
VA Regional Loan Center (262)
Norris Cotton Federal Building
275 Chestnut Street
Manchester, NH 03101

Other Resources

Homes for Our Troops is a non-partisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that provides specially adapted homes for severely injured servicemembers.  Contact:

Homes For Our Troops
37 Main Street
Taunton, MA 02780
Phone: (508) 823-3300
Toll Free: 1-866-7-TROOPS