Veterans or their families may obtain replacements for lost medals or other decorations awarded to the veteran by submitting appropriate documentation to the veterans branch of service. There is generally no charge for replacement medals or other awards.

Requests can be submitted online using the eVetRecs system at: Paper requests can be submitted by completing a Standard Form 180 and mailing it to the address for the veteran’s branch of service indicated at the bottom of page 3 of SF-180. For general information:

National Personnel Records Center
(Military Personnel Records)
9700 Page Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Note: Under 18 U.S.C. 704, also known as the Stolen Valor Act, it is a class D felony to wear, purchase, ship, sell, or exchange, or to falsely claim to be the recipient of, a medal, ribbon, or badge, unless the honor was properly earned. The law is not intended to apply to legitimate collectors of these items provided they do not represent that they have earned them through military service.

Veterans can determine which medals they earned by examining their military discharge forms (DD-214, WD 53-35, NAVPERS, etc.). Listed on the form are all the medals the final military unit deemed the veteran was authorized to possess at the time of discharge.

To apply for a medal not listed on your discharge papers, but that you feel you deserve, complete Form DD-149 and mail the completed form to the appropriate address listed on the back of the form based on your branch of service.