Nearly all complaints about electric, natural gas and telecommunication companies operating in Massachusetts - their rates, quality of service, etc. - are handled by the Department of Public Utilities (DPU) and the Department of Telecommunications and Cable (DTC). The DPU is responsible for enforcing Massachusetts laws and regulations affecting investor-owned electric and natural gas utilities. The mission of the DPU's Consumer Division is to protect consumers from unjust utility company practices and to monitor the quality of the services they provide.

If you are having a problem with a utility, the DPU recommends that you first contact the utility company and try to resolve the matter. If that does not resolve the issue, contact the DPU through the Online Complaint Form, or call the Consumer Division at 617-737-2836 or toll-free at 1-877-886-5066.

The AGO shares jurisdiction with the DPU in the area of electric and gas consumer complaints. Residents facing utility shut-offs or who want to report possible fraud or unfair practices should contact the Consumer Advocacy & Response Division (CARD)  or contact the Consumer Hotline at (617) 727-8400. The AGO may be able to provide useful information or consumer assistance services to help you resolve your complaint. Please note that the AGO does not have authority over the price of home heating oil or gasoline.