The Attorney General's Office accepts applications for waivers through its Child Labor Waiver Unit. Applications should be submitted at least one week, but no later than three days, prior to commencement of the work for which the waiver is sought. Applicants must include a $100 processing fee (801 CMR 4.02).

Applicants do not need to submit a new application for every minor in a production; only one waiver application is required for each production (not one waiver per minor employee). However, applicants must provide complete information regarding each employee for whom you are seeking a waiver.

If your waiver is granted, you should receive a copy of the waiver within 2 to 4 days prior to the filming or production. If there are issues with your waiver, you will be contacted as soon as possible.



The application requests the following information: name, address, telephone number, and contact person for the company/organization that will employ the child; the name, address, and date of birth for each child actor; the name(s) of each child actor's parent(s) or guardian(s), and the name of the parent or guardian who will be on site with each child actor; the dates and times (including start and finish time) of each performance; the locations of rehearsals and performances; and the company's history in applying for waivers.

To view and download the application:

You may also obtain an application by contacting the Attorney General's Office Child Labor Waiver Unit:

Child Labor Waiver Unit, Fair Labor Division
Office of Attorney General Maura Healey
P.O. Box 6303
Boston, MA 02114

Contact: Noreen Kelly
Phone: (617) 727-2200, ext. 2329
Fax: (617) 722-3066

The application can be faxed, sent by email, or mailed to you. Please indicate your preference when requesting an application.

Completed applications may be sent to the Child Labor Waiver Unit at the above address. Applications will be accepted by mail only, and must be accompanied by payment for a $100 processing fee. (Note: Checks and money orders may be made out to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.)