For Immediate Release - December 30, 2010

Lowell Man Pleads Guilty, Sentenced to Two Years in Jail in Connection with Dealing Drugs and Disturbing Child Pornography

SALEM - A Lowell man has pled guilty in Essex Superior Court in Salem for downloading and distributing child pornography, and dealing drugs in the Essex County area, Attorney General Martha Coakley's Office has announced.

Clarence Newcomb, age 42, pled guilty yesterday to charges of Dissemination of Child Pornography, Distribution of a Class B Substance (2 counts), Distribution of Class C Substance, Distribution of a Class A Substance, and Possession of a Class B Substance. Following the change of plea, Essex Superior Court Judge Timothy Feeley sentenced Newcomb to serve two years in the House of Correction, followed by three years of probation. While on probation, Judge Feeley ordered Newcomb to wear a GPS monitoring bracelet and have no unsupervised contact with anyone under the age of 18. Newcomb must also submit to random drug testing, and be evaluated for sex offender treatment by the Department of Probation.

"Protecting kids online is a top priority for our office and we will continue to aggressively prosecute those who exploit children online," said AG Coakley. "It is important that we continue to work to make the Internet a safer place for kids while also preventing individuals from taking advantage of vulnerable victims online."

In June 2007, the Attorney General's Office began an investigation after receiving information about Newcomb's drug dealing activities. Investigators discovered that Newcomb sold crystal methamphetamine in and around the areas of Haverhill and Danvers. Upon further investigation, authorities learned that Newcomb also distributed numerous images of child pornography.

On September 18, 2008, Newcomb was arrested by Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Attorney General's Office. Newcomb was arraigned the following day in Salem District Court where he pled not guilty and was ordered held on $200,000 cash bail.

An Essex County Grand Jury returned indictments against Newcomb on November 7, 2008. On November 14, 2008, he was arraigned in Essex Superior Court where he pled not guilty and was released on $10,000 bail. Yesterday, Newcomb pled guilty to all charges and was sentenced.

This matter involved a coordinated multi-agency investigation led by Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Attorney General's Office. Significant assistance in the investigation was provided by the Middleton Police Department, the Manchester, NH, Police Department, the Merrimack, NH, Police Department, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Boston/Task Force 1, and the NH High Intensity Drug Traffic Areas (HIDTA) Task Force.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant Attorney General Anne Yas, of Attorney General Coakley's Cyber Crime Division.