For Immediate Release - October 09, 2013

“South Side Bandit” Pleads Guilty to Five Bank Robberies, Sentenced to 18-20 Years in State Prison

Robbed Banks in Newton and Wellesley

WOBURN – A man dubbed the “South Side Bandit” has pleaded guilty to committing five bank robberies in Newton and Wellesley in 2010, Attorney General Martha Coakley announced today. He was sentenced to 18 to 20 years in state prison.

“This defendant robbed five different banks and employed fear and threats of violence to do so, while carrying what appeared to be a semi-automatic weapon,” AG Coakley said. “He will now serve a considerable amount of time in state prison for these crimes.”

Wilfredo Alarcon, age 45, of Newton, pleaded guilty on Tuesday in Middlesex Superior Court to charges of Masked Armed Robbery (5 counts), Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (5 counts), Stealing by Placing in Fear (5 counts), and Attempted Masked Armed Robbery. After the plea was entered, Superior Court Judge Kathe M. Tuttman sentenced Alarcon to 18 to 20 years in state prison with five years of probation to serve upon his release.

Over the period of five months in 2010, Alarcon robbed five banks in Newton and Wellesley. The first bank robbery happened on January 25 at Eastern Bank in Newton. The second incident occurred on February 25 at Bank of America in Newton, while the third occurred on April 2 at Century Bank in Newton. Alarcon also robbed Village Bank in Newton on April 24 and TD Bank in Wellesley on May 1. Alarcon stole approximately $51,000 in total.

Investigation revealed that Alarcon’s typical strategy in these robberies was to enter the banks with a black mask over his face, a hoodie or baseball cap, latex gloves, and an apparent semi-automatic weapon, which was ultimately revealed to be an air pistol. He would then demand large bills from the bank workers, at times ordering others on the ground, and use threats of violence until he was given the money.

Alarcon was arrested on May 20, 2010 in Methuen by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Bank Robbery Task Force with assistance from Massachusetts State Police assigned to the AG’s Office and the Newton and Wellesley Police Departments. He was arrested when he attempted to enter and rob a Sovereign Bank wearing latex gloves, a black mask under his baseball cap, and carrying the air pistol.

Alarcon was indicted in April 25, 2011 by a Statewide Grand Jury and arraigned in Middlesex Superior Court on May 11, 2011. Alarcon pleaded guilty in Middlesex Superior Court on Tuesday and was sentenced.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant Attorney General Anne Kaczmarek of AG Coakley’s Enterprise and Major Crimes Division with assistance from the Massachusetts State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Bank Robbery Task Force, the Newton and Wellesley Police Departments, Victim Advocate Ashley Cinelli, and the AG’s Computer Forensic Laboratory.


Follow us on Twitter – View our Photos – Visit our Website