For Immediate Release - June 23, 2014

Boston Brothers Sentenced to Three Years in State Prison for Conspiring to Defraud One Fund Boston of $2.195 Million, Steal From Real Victims of Bombing

Also Ordered to Do Community Service with Those Who Have Lost Limbs or Sustained Brain Injuries

BOSTON – A pair of brothers from Boston have been sentenced to three years in state prison for attempting to defraud The One Fund Boston of $2.195 million by submitting a false claim on behalf of their dead aunt, Attorney General Martha Coakley announced today.

Today, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Jeffery Locke sentenced Branden Mattier, 23, of the South End, to three years to three years and a day in state prison. Judge Locke also sentenced his brother, Domunique Grice, 28, also of the South End, to three years to three years and a day in state prison.

Judge Locke also ordered that both defendants serve three years of probation upon their release, with the condition that they serve 468 hours of community service each, specifically assisting people who have lost limbs or sustained brain injuries.

“These two defendants were convicted of orchestrating a callous scheme to steal more than $2 million that was intended to help the real victims of the Marathon bombings,” said AG Coakley. “They will now serve time in state prison, and will also be required to help people faced with the same types of challenges and injuries suffered by many of the victims of the bombings.”

On June 13, following a four-day trial, a Suffolk Superior Court jury found Mattier guilty of Conspiracy to Commit Larceny over $250, Attempt to Commit Larceny over $250, and Identity Fraud. The jury also found Grice guilty of Conspiracy to Commit Larceny over $250 and Attempt to Commit Larceny over $250. Both defendants were taken into custody after the verdict was returned and held without bail pending sentencing.

In June 2013, The One Fund Boston referred the matter to the AG’s Office after it suspected that the claim submitted by Mattier and Grice on behalf of their aunt, Onevia Bradley, was false. 

The AG’s investigation revealed that on May 7, 2013 Mattier and Grice attended a Town Hall meeting held by The One Fund at the Boston Public Library on behalf of their supposedly injured aunt. Afterwards, Mattier spoke with the media about the importance of their aunt being compensated immediately because the hospital bills were coming in.

Mattier followed-up on May 29, 2013 by sending an email to The One Fund asking if his aunt could make a claim as a double amputee if the amputation was expected to be performed in the future. In June, The One Fund received a claim form, put together by Mattier and Grice. It included a letter, created by Mattier, but purportedly from the chief of trauma services at the Boston Medical Center affirming their aunt as a double amputee. The letter was dated May 2, 2013, a full 27 days before Mattier’s email to The One Fund saying their aunt might lose her other leg.

Investigation also revealed that at the end of June, the brothers attended a private ceremonial closing of a memorial erected in Copley Square and a complimentary dinner at the Seaport Hotel, both meant only for bombing victims and their families.

According to officials at the Boston Medical Center, their aunt never received treatment at the hospital in connection with the Boston Marathon bombing nor did the letter originate from the trauma center. The investigation further revealed through public records that Onevia Bradley had actually died more than 10 years earlier.

As part of the investigation, Mattier signed for a letter on July 1, 2013 informing him that his aunt had been awarded $2.195 million from The One Fund Boston. The letter informed Mattier that he would receive the check by courier the next morning, July 2, 2013. State police arrested Mattier after delivering the simulated check. 

The investigation also showed that Mattier and Grice had scheduled an appointment to test drive a new Mercedes-Benz E350 the same day the check was scheduled to be delivered. As a result of Mattier’s arrest, they did not attend that appointment.

Mattier was arrested on July 2, 2013 by Massachusetts State Police assigned to the AG’s Office. He was arraigned on July 3, 2013 in Boston Municipal Court. Mattier and Grice were indicted by a Suffolk County Grand Jury on August 29, 2013. On June 13, they were found guilty by a Suffolk Superior Court jury. Today, they were sentenced in Suffolk Superior Court by Judge Locke.

This matter was handled by Assistant Attorney General Gina Masotta of the AG’s Public Integrity Division and Assistant Attorney General John Verner, Chief of the AG’s Criminal Bureau, with assistance from Investigator Sallyann Nelligan, Victim Advocate Lisa Solecki, State Police assigned to the AG’s Office, and the AG’s Digital Evidence Lab. One Fund Boston promptly reported the allegations, and cooperated throughout the investigation.


Follow us on Twitter – View our Photos – Visit our Website