For Immediate Release - October 29, 2014

Former Ludlow Police Lieutenant Sentenced to Jail for Tampering with Drug Evidence

SPRINGFIELD – A Lieutenant at the Ludlow Police Department has been sentenced to two years in jail and five years of probation in connection with tampering with evidence, theft from an evidence locker and possession of cocaine, Attorney General Martha Coakley announced today.

On Oct. 22, Thomas Foye, age 50, of Ludlow, pleaded guilty to charges of Tampering with Evidence, Theft of Drugs from a Dispensary (2 counts) and Possession of a Class B Substance (2 counts) in Hampden Superior Court.

Today, Superior Court Judge Mary Lou Rup sentenced Foye to two years in the House of Correction with five years of probation to serve upon his release. Judge Rup also imposed the following conditions of Foye’s probation: no illicit drug use, random drug screenings, substance abuse treatment, counseling, and 100 hours of community service.

In 2013, after an internal investigation that was initiated due to missing drug evidence, the Ludlow Police Department contacted the Hampden County District Attorney’s Office, which then referred the matter to the AG’s Office.

The AG’s Office began an immediate investigation into the matter in August 2013. Foye was arrested on August 15, 2013 after he accessed the evidence locker without authorization. Upon arresting Foye, authorities discovered him in possession of cocaine and empty evidence bags in his office.

Subsequent investigation revealed that between January and August 2013, Foye stole dozens of pieces of evidence from the evidence locker, including cocaine and prescription pills. In some cases, Foye replaced the narcotics in the evidence bags with pills that did not match the description on the corresponding state lab certifications. Foye had accessed the evidence locker without authorization by using an emergency key that granted him access without associating the entry with his name.

Foye was arrested in August 2013 without incident at the Ludlow Police Station by Massachusetts State Police assigned to the AG’s Office. He was indicted by a Hampden County Grand Jury on March 6. He pleaded guilty to the charges on Oct. 22 and was sentenced today in Hampden Superior Court.

This matter was prosecuted by Assistant Attorneys General Marina Moriarty and David Rubin of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office, with assistance from the Massachusetts State Police and the AG’s Digital Evidence Lab.


Follow us on Twitter – View our Photos – Visit our Website