May 13, 1998
- Purpose and Scope
- Principles Governing Travel
- Authorization and Reimbursement
Purpose and Scope
The purpose of this Administrative Bulletin is to provide guidelines to govern the travel of state employees on Commonwealth business. These guidelines apply to in-state and out-of-state travel, including privately subsidized travel. All state agencies in the Executive Department must comply with the provisions of this Bulletin. All other state agencies are urged to comply with them.
Principles Governing Travel
All official travel must be consistent with the following principles:
- Travel must serve a legitimate public purpose in support of the state agency's mission.
- Travel arrangements must be cost effective. Executive Offices and their agencies must use available available Operational Services Division ("OSD") statewide contracts to purchase travel services.
- Travel must be consistent with the relevant rules of the Personnel Administrator, OSD, and the Comptroller, including compliance with the Expenditure Classification Handbook. Where applicable, travel must also comply with the relevant provisions of current collective bargaining agreements.
Authorization and Reimbursement
Each department is responsible for establishing its own authorization process for in-state travel. These processes must be consistent with the principles set forth in this Bulletin. For the purposes of this Bulletin, a department is a state agency authorized to manage its financial affairs through the state accounting system established and maintained by the Comptroller.
Out-of-state travel requires the approval of the relevant Cabinet Secretary, or his designee. Privately subsidized travel, whether in-state or out-of-state, must comply with the provisions of 801 CMR 7.00. No department may authorize disbursements for travel expenses, including employee reimbursements, unless the travel is consistent with the provisions of this Bulletin.
The two forms associated with 801 CMR 7.00 governing privately subsidized travel and training, the Authorization for Privately Subsidized Travel and the Statement of Reconciliation, and the AF-5 Out of State Travel Authorization form are hereby eliminated. In their place, a single form covering all travel reporting is available from OSD.
Download Travel Authorization Form (Form TAF)
This Bulletin takes effect on July 1, 1996.
Charles D. Baker
Executive Office for Administration and Finance
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.