Managed by the Collins Center at the University of Massachusetts at Boston, this program provides direct assistance to municipalities in the Commonwealth interested in establishing new programs or refining existing ones. The original program, funded through the CIC program, launched in August, 2012 and included 20 municipalities. To staff the work of the program, the Collins Center hired and trained five analysts, each of whom supported four municipalities.
The first six months of the program focused on police and public works departments. As part of the program, the Collins Center and participating municipalities are developing a toolkit of templates, reports, and best practices based upon lessons learned, as well as common indicators that can be used across municipalities. The program continues to expand and added additional communities in the Spring of 2013.
In the first year of the program, the Collins Center and participating municipalities realized multiple accomplishments, including:
- Holding over 60 performance-based meetings in nearly 40 departments across all 20 participating municipalities;
- Designing new workload and efficiency measures to help departments improve performance management efforts;
- Changing data coding to allow for better data analysis, including categorizing overtime to identify causes and redesigning regular crime reports provided to patrolmen;
- Increasing inter- and intra- municipality collaboration on best practices and problem solving;
- Helping municipal employees to learn new technical or software skills, including ways to reduce data entry inefficiency and improve accuracy;
- Completing significant analyses on usage of sick time and overtime;
- Analyzing injuring on duty, which led to new safety training for most common injuries and monthly safety reports; and
- Working on collecting lessons learned and building templates for a toolkit and on developing common indicators and measures to improve data comparability.
Participating communities include: Arlington, Greenfield, Wilmington, Westfield, Wrentham, Amesbury, Andover, Braintree, Brookline, Cambridge, Chatham, Chicopee, Dartmouth, Holliston, Lowell, Medway, New Bedford, Northampton, Orange, Revere, Salem, Shirley, Somerville, Woburn, and Worcester
To learn more about either of these programs, please contact the Collins Center directly at (617)-287-4824 or firstname.lastname@example.org.