The Office of Vehicle Management (OVM) oversees the Commonwealth’s Executive Branch light duty and passenger vehicle fleet that is used by state personnel to conduct state business. OVM is responsible for the acquisition, leasing, registration, maintenance, and repair of the Executive Branch fleet. The current OVM Light Duty & Passenger Vehicle Contract must be used when purchasing or leasing Commonwealth vehicles. To support the operational needs of state agencies, OVM also administers fleet support contracts for other vehicle needs, such as glass, tires, fuel cards, maintenance, and repairs.
Vehicle Management Policies and Procedures
All Executive Branch departments must comply with OVM's Policies and Procedures , which are adopted to ensure that state vehicles are allocated, operated, marked, repaired and maintained efficiently and economically and in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
OVM policies provide the rules and regulations associated with the use of Commonwealth vehicles by Executive Branch departments and personnel. The policies apply to state vehicles that are owned, leased, rented, or received as gifts by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Vehicle fleets maintained by the Commonwealth's Constitutional, Legislative and Judicial Offices, the public institutions of higher learning, the Department of Transportation, independent authorities, the state police and the environmental police are not governed by the policies and procedures of the Office of Vehicle Management.
In addition to the Policies and Procedures Manual, Executive branch departments must comply with Executive Office for Administration and Finance Administration Bulletin #10, Use of State Vehicles by Executive Agencies .
A Fuel Efficiency Standard for the Executive Branch Fleet:
The Operational Services Division in collaboration with the Department of Energy Resources and the Department of Environmental Protection has adopt a fuel efficiency standard. Review the details here . In addition, a new Vehicle Request Spreadsheet has been created for Executive Branch Agencies to use when requesting to purchase or lease new vehicles from the current statewide light duty and passenger vehicle contract (VEH98). The most current version of this spreadsheet should be used each time a request is submitted to OVM. Review the spreadsheet here .
An Overview of OVM Services
- Vehicle purchasing through statewide contracts
- The receipt and inspection of all new light duty and passenger vehicles
- Registrations, titles and plates (inc. renewals & duplicates)
- Fuel card management (statewide contracts for Fuel Card and Fuel Management Services)
- Coordination of maintenance, repair (including tires) and accident subrogation services and provision of vehicle packets (statewide contracts for Maintenance Management & Accident Subrogation Services)
- Driver accident reporting, monitoring, and follow-up
- Fleet inventory and data system management
- Vehicle redeployment or disposal management
- Assisting department fleet managers
- Compliance and auditing
- Management of the 1-800-How Am I Driving program and other citizen complaints
- Management of federal reporting and alternative fuel mandates