COMMBUYS is the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ state-of-the-art electronic Market Center supporting online commerce between government purchasers and business. COMMBUYS is a tool that supports government modernization, strengthening the public sector’s buying power, expanding market opportunities for vendors, consolidating purchasing of goods and services with online bid management, and linking purchasing with payment to streamline business and enabling data collection and analysis to drive meaningful business decision-making.
COMMBUYS Phase I Accomplishments
Since Go-live on March 24, 2014, COMMBUYS has consolidated contract purchasing and supported online solicitations to enhance data collection and drive meaningful business decision-making.
- Implemented online catalogs (line item and Punch-Out) and online ordering;
- Realized online solicitations, including online bid posting, response submission, evaluation, and award;
- Automated purchasing workflow and approvals;
- Provided key-word search capability to find businesses, goods, and services;
- Converted 348,047 documents from Comm-PASS to COMMBUYS.
Get the current COMMBUYS stats, including number of registered sellers, orders placed, bids posted, and dollars spent.
What's Next for COMMBUYS?
Working closely with the Office of the State Comptroller, the Operational Services Division (OSD) is actively planning Phase II of the COMMBUYS rollout, an interface with the Massachusetts Management Accounting and Reporting System (MMARS). This enhancement will connect COMMBUYS with MMARS to enable a seamless process from ordering through payment.
Learn about COMMBUYS Phase II activities:
- Visit our Resources for All COMMBUYS Liaisons web page to view recent Liaison meeting presentations and listen to meeting recordings.
Set up Departmental Contracts in COMMBUYS:
- Departmental Contracts for which OSD has oversight responsibility must be set up in COMMBUYS by August 15, 2015. Attend an instructor-led class on How to Create a Departmental Master Blanket Purchase Order (MBPO) in COMMBUYS . Bring your Departmental contract information with you to get one-on-one set-up assistance during the afternoon session.
Find useful Resources:
- It is essential that Departmental contractors/vendors/sellers be registered in COMMBUYS. Access a letter Departments may send to Departmental Contractors urging their registration in COMMBUYS.
Punch-Out Catalogs: Streamlining the Purchaser Experience
Purchasing through COMMBUYS has never been easier with online seller catalogs or Punch-Outs. After selecting your items in one of the available seller Punch-Out catalogs, selections are pulled back into COMMBUYS and summarized on your requisition.
Log in to COMMBUYS and select the shopping cart icon at the top of your navigation dashboard to get started. Select the vendor drop-down menu to display available Punch Out catalogs. Currently, the following seller catalogs are available: A&A Industrial Supply/Albeco Fasteners (FAC76); Fastenal (FAC76); Ferguson (FAC76); F.W. Web (FAC76); G.A. Blanco and Sons (OFF32); Government Scientific Source (HSP34); Grainger (FAC76); Granite City Electric (FAC76); Graybar (FAC76); Home Depot (FAC76); MSC Industrial Supply (FAC76); Motion Industries (FAC76); New England Office Supply (OFF36); NorthEast Electrical (FAC76); VWR International (HSP34); and W.B. Mason (OFF36)*. New Punch Out catalogs are being added to COMMBUYS on a regular basis. Be sure to check your email for the latest announcements about new Punch Out catalog availability. To join our mailing list, click here.
*Please note: While some Statewide Contract sellers may not yet have Punch Out catalogs, purchasers may still make purchases from those businesses using a line item catalog in COMMBUYS.
Buyers may find additional guidance for using Punch Out catalog functionality through the Punch Out Job Aid file size 1MB and by accessing the COMMBUYS Punch Out Catalog Functionality document available as an attachment in COMMBUYS under the applicable Master Blanket Purchase Order (MBPO).
Enabling Complete and On-Time Responses to Bids in COMMBUYS
The COMMBUYS Help Desk often receives a high volume of calls from vendors seeking assistance as they submit bid responses. As a best practice, purchasers should set bid opening dates/times that fall on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday with a deadline of 4:00 p.m. or earlier, periods when call volume is generally lower and Help Desk staff are able to provide the level of support sellers need.
OSD strongly discourages assigning Friday at 5:00 p.m. as a bid opening date/time.
COMMBUYS Resource Center
Have you visited our Resource Center lately? Visitors can easily access instructional webcasts and job aids on recurring buyer activities, acquire valuable user tips file size 2MB on bid preparation, purchasing, and basic navigation, as well as find current policy information and needed forms. Pay us a visit today!
Find out what's trending at the Operational Services Division. Follow us on Twitter @Mass_OSD, and learn more about OSD on MA Procurement Insights, the Official Blog of the Massachusetts Operational Services Division.