Executive Order 515 requires the purchase of remanufactured and other environmentally preferable products (EPPs) wherever they are available. The Joint Enterprise Printer Cartridge Acquisition Policy, issued by the Operational Services Division and the Information Technology Division on October 27, 2012, requires all Executive Department Agencies to purchase remanufactured laser print toner cartridges wherever they are available, and makes the same requirement for Non-Executive Department Agencies using Commonwealth Information Technology Capital Funds.
The Commonwealth’s goal is to ensure that a minimum of 80% of all laser printer toner cartridge purchases by Executive Departments are remanufactured. In addition, all other Commonwealth entities are encouraged to adopt, at a minimum, policies and requirements to support this policy.
There are multiple cartridge manufacturers making a wide range high quality, third-party certified products for most equipment models. Remanufactured cartridges must be guaranteed to meet Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) standards, and be certified to meet all test methods developed and used by the printer cartridge industry. All vendors offer cartridge recycling at no cost to customers and some may offer rebates on the cartridges.
- ITC66 Contract User Guide (scroll to ITC66): This guide provides a general summary of the contract, outlines pricing/purchase options, includes a vendor list, and reviews benefits and cost savings associated with the contract.
- ITD Enterprise Printer Cartridge Acquisition Policy (10/27/2012): This Policy establishes requirements for the purchase and recycling of laser printer toner cartridges aimed at increasing the purchase and use of remanufactured laser printer cartridges throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Executive Department agencies by 40% during Fiscal Year 2013 (FY13) and by a minimum of 10% annually thereafter.
- ITC66 Remanufactured Toner Cartridge FAQs : This Frequently Asked Questions reviews some of the most asked questions regarding the ITD Enterprise Printer Cartridge Acquisition Policy.
- Remanufactured Printer Cartridge Resolution Guidance : Developed jointly by ITD/OSD, this guidance reviews steps agencies can take to resolve issues when using remanufactured toner cartridges.
- Case Studies: These case studies highlight Agency success in transitioning to remanufactured cartridges.