The mission of the Group Insurance Commission (GIC) is to provide high-value health insurance and other benefits to state employees, retirees, and their survivors and dependents. The GIC also covers housing and redevelopment authorities as well as certain municipalities that elect to join the GIC through coalition bargaining at the local level. The agency works with vendors selected through competitive bidding to offer cost-effective benefits produced with careful plan design and rigorous ongoing management. The agency's performance goals are to provide affordable, high quality benefits and, as the largest employer purchaser of health insurance in the Commonwealth, to use that position to drive improvements in the health care system.
The GIC offers the following benefit programs:
- A diverse array of health insurance options
- Term life insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) insurance
- Dental/Vision coverage for managers, legislators, legislative staff and certain Executive Branch employees
- Dental coverage for retirees
- Discount vision program for retirees
- Health Care Spending Account (HCSA)
- Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP)
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission .