THE GROUP INSURANCE COMMISSION
The mission of the Group Insurance Commission (GIC) is to provide high-value health insurance and other benefits to Commonwealth of Massachusetts' state employees, retirees, and their survivors and dependents. The GIC also covers housing and redevelopment authorities as well as certain municipalities that elect to join the GIC. The agency works with vendors selected through competitive bidding to offer cost-effective benefits produced with careful plan design and rigorous ongoing management.
The agency's performance goals are to provide high-quality, affordable benefit options, limiting the financial liability to the state and other payers to sustainable growth rates; and using the GIC’s position as the largest employer purchaser of health insurance in the Commonwealth to stabilize, re-balance and otherwise favorably influence the Massachusetts health care market.
The GIC offers the following benefit programs:
- A diverse array of health insurance options
- Term life insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) insurance
- Dental/Vision coverage for managers, legislators, legislative staff and certain Executive Branch employees
- Dental coverage for retirees
- Vision discount program for retirees
- Health Care Spending Account (HCSA)
- Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP)
Fiscal Year 2016 Annual Report
Editor: Cynthia McGrath
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission .