April 4 - May 2, 2018
TAKE ACTION DURING ANNUAL ENROLLMENT
Annual enrollment time gives you the opportunity to review your benefit options and choose a new health plan if you wish. Take action during Annual Enrollment! Do your homework, even if you think you want to stay in the same health plan. Take this opportunity to think about what you and your family need in the way of health care.
During annual enrollment, if eligible, you may:
- Change health plans
- Enroll in the GIC Retiree Dental Plan
- Apply for the buy-out option
- Apply for reduced non-smoker Optional Life Insurance rates if you have GIC optional life insurance as a smoker and have been tobacco-free for at least 12 months
Be sure to read your GIC Benefit Decision Guide for benefit and rate changes effective July 1, 2018. The guide will be mailed to your permanent address during the week of April 1. If you are traveling or at a seasonal address, see our website to download the guide, or contact the GIC to ask us to send a copy to your current address.
BE SURE TO “GIC”— GATHER, INVESTIGATE, CHOOSE
GATHER — a list of your doctors, hospitals and medications that you take frequently. Be sure to include this same information for every family member you cover.
INVESTIGATE – your options by reading your Benefit Decision Guide and contacting the health plans:
- If you are considering enrolling or staying in an HMO, PPO, POS or EPO, are your doctors and hospitals in the network?
- If you are a non-Medicare Retiree/Survivor, what are the copay tiers of your providers? This determines your copay costs.
- Are your prescription drugs included on the plan’s formulary, and if so, what copay tier are they in?
- Are other services you might need covered?
- Weigh total expected copay costs and premiums for each plan before you decide to remain in the same health plan or change to another option.
CHOOSE – your health plan no later than Wednesday, May 2, 2018.
Keep in mind! Once you choose a health plan, you cannot change plans during the year, unless you move out of the plan’s service area or become eligible for Medicare (in which case you must switch plans). If your doctor or hospital leaves your health plan, you must find a new participating provider in your chosen plan.
If you have researched your options and determined you want to keep your current Group Insurance Commission (GIC) health plan, you do not need to fill out any paperwork. Your coverage will continue automatically.
Mark the Date! Completed enrollment forms are due to the GIC no later than Wednesday, May 2, 2018.
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission .