Surviving Spouses may elect to remain insured only for Health coverage until their remarriage or death. They must apply for Surviving Spouse coverage within six months of the Employee's or Retiree's death. Additional time to apply may be granted for delays due to the applicant's medical condition or the existence of other coverage that has since terminated.
(1) Surviving Spouses of deceased Employees or Retirees who were enrolled in Commission Coverage at the time of the Insureds' death may elect only Health Coverage until their remarriage or death. Surviving Spouses must apply for Surviving Spouse Health Coverage.
(2) Surviving Spouses who are eligible for coverage as Employees are not eligible for survivor coverage unless they terminate employment. Enrollees who are eligible for coverage as Retirees are not eligible for survivor coverage.
(3) Divorced or legally Separated Spouses are not Surviving Spouses and are not eligible for Surviving Spouse coverage.
(4) Surviving Spouses who receive a retirement allowance must have their Health Coverage premium deducted from their retirement allowance.
(5) Widows and widowers of deceased Insureds are only eligible for Surviving Spouse coverage if the deceased was enrolled in Commission coverage at the time of death.
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission .