Insureds who have an unmarried child who is physically disabled and incapable of earning his/her own living as of the age of 19 may apply for Handicapped Dependent Coverage for their child.  Family coverage is required.

  1. Give the employee the Handicapped Dependent Application.
  2. The employee and dependent’s physician must complete the application and send it to the GIC.
  3. The GIC will review the application for eligibility and will notify the insured of its decision.
  4. The GIC sends periodic re-certification forms for continuation of handicapped dependent coverage to the employee.

If the child became disabled on or after the age of 19, coverage will end at age 26.

This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission .