If an employee has one of the following qualifying events, he/she may opt out of pre-tax basic life and health insurance premium deductions:
- Marriage or divorce
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Spouse or dependent dies
- Spouse commences or is terminated from employment
- Employee or spouse takes an unpaid leave of absence
- Employee involuntarily loses health insurance through no fault of his/her own
To process these changes:
- The employee completes and signs the Pre-Tax Basic Life and Health Insurance Plan Election Not to Participate Form.
- The form is forwarded to the agency’s payroll department. The payroll person updates the payroll system to reflect the employee’s pre-tax change election.
- File the original form in the employee’s personnel file. You do not need to send the GIC anything.
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission .