GIC Dental/Vision Plan for Managers, Legislators, Legislative Staff and Certain Executive Office Staff
Eligibility for the GIC Dental and Vision Plan
The GIC Dental/Vision Plan is for state employees who are not covered by collective bargaining or do not have another Dental and/or Vision Plan through the state. The plan primarily covers managers, Legislators, Legislative staff, and certain Executive Office staff. Employees of authorities, municipalities, higher education, and the Judicial Trial Court system are not eligible for GIC Dental/Vision coverage.
Annual Enrollment and New Hire Options
As a new hire or during annual enrollment, eligible employees may enroll in GIC Dental/Vision for the first time, or change their dental plan selection.
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (MetLife) is the provider of the dental portion of the GIC Dental/Vision plan. There are two dental plan options:
- The PPO Plan (also known as the MetLife Value Plan), and
- The Indemnity Plan (also known as the MetLife Classic Plan).
Both plans include MetLife’s network of dentists and offer the following in-network benefits:
- Per-person calendar year maximum benefit of $1,250
- 100% coverage for preventive and diagnostic services
- 80% coverage for basic services, such as root canals and extractions
- 50% coverage for major services, such as dental implants
Benefit Enhancement for Both Plans Effective July 1, 2015:
- Composite fillings on posterior teeth – covered at 80%
With either plan, if you use MetLife's network of participating dentists, you will be able to take advantage of negotiated fees, even after you have exceeded your annual maximum.
! - The GIC recommends that you check to see whether you and/or your dependents receive all of your dental care from a participating MetLife dentist:
- PPO Plan (MetLife Value): If you and/or your dependents receive all of your care from a participating MetLife dentist, this plan will help you save on monthly premium costs and will also usually lower your out-of-pocket costs. However, if you are in the PPO Plan (MetLife Value) and you go out of network, you will need to satisfy a $100 deductible and the benefit levels are slightly lower.
- Indemnity Plan (MetLife Classic): If you and/or your dependents intend to not visit participating dentists, choosing this plan will provide higher benefit levels, but at a higher monthly premium cost.
Keep in mind that once you choose your dental plan, you may not change plans until the next annual enrollment, even if your dentist leaves the plan during the year.
Contact Metlife for a list of participating dentists and other providers and other plan benefit questions.
Active Dental Plan Handbook file size 3MB
Active Dental Plan Handbook file size 5MB
The vision portion of the GIC Dental/Vision Plan is administered by Davis Vision. This plan provides a preferred provider network of over 1,500 Massachusetts providers, with additional providers across the country. Members receive basic services every 24 months (age 19-60) or every 12 months (age 18 or under and 61 or over) at no cost:
- routine eye examinations;
- collection frames;
- lenses; and
- scratch-resistant lens coating.
Enhanced materials and services at preferred providers are covered at 100% after a copay. Members can also take advantage of Davis Vision discounts on additional eyewear.
When members do not use a preferred provider, they are reimbursed according to a fixed schedule of benefits.
Vision Benefit Questions?
Contact Davis Vision for co-payment amounts and participating providers
Davis Vision (client code 7852) 1-800-650-2466
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission.