Life insurance, insured by The Hartford Life and Accident Company, helps provide for your family's economic well-being in the event of your death. This benefit is paid to your designated beneficiaries.
GIC Retired Municipal Teachers (RMTs) are eligible for basic life insurance only in an amount determined by the city or town from which they retire. Survivors, Elderly Governmental Retirees (EGRs), COBRA enrollees, and retirees in the GIC municipal health-only program are not eligible for GIC basic or optional life insurance.
Basic Life Insurance (Employees, Retired State Employees and RMTs)
The Commonwealth offers $5,000 of Basic Life Insurance to all active state employees and most retirees who have health coverage through the GIC.
Accelerated Life Benefit (State Employees, Retired State Employees and GIC RMTs Only)
This one-time benefit allows you to elect an advance payment of 25% to 75% of your life insurance death benefit if you have been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Insureds are eligible for this benefit if the attending physician provides satisfactory evidence that you have a life expectancy of 12 months or less. Upon payment of the accelerated life benefit, future life insurance premiums will be waived regardless of your age. The remaining balance is paid to your beneficiary when you die.
Optional Life Insurance (Active Employees and Retired State Employees Only)
Optional Life Insurance is available to provide economic support for your family. This term insurance allows you to increase your coverage up to eight times your annual salary, up to a maximum of $1.5 million. Term insurance pays your designated beneficiary in the event of your death. It is not an investment policy; it has no cash value. This is an enrollee-pay-all benefit.
How Much Do You Need?
To estimate how much Optional Life Insurance you might need, or whether this coverage is right for you, consider such financial factors as:
- Your family’s yearly expenses;
- Future expenses, such as college tuition or other expenses unique to your family;
- Your family’s income from savings, other insurance, other sources; and
- The life insurance cost and your family's outstanding debt. For instance, employees with young families and mortgages might need the coverage. But older employees who have paid off their mortgage and have no dependent expenses might not need it, especially because premiums increase significantly as you age.
Life Insurance and AD&D Questions?
Contact the GIC: 1.617.727.2310 ext. 1
The Hartford's My Tomorrow Website is an online tool to help you better understand your optional life insurance benefit. It is designed to help you:
- Make smart, affordable benefit choices to help protect your income.
- Get quick access to key benefit details, real-life stories and more.
Life and AD&D Insurance Booklets
For additional information and details about GIC life and AD&D benefits, see your life booklet.
All new enrollees receive a life insurance booklet by mail: If you cannot view the booklets below and need another copy, contact the GIC.
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission .