Many of us would like to lose a few pounds. For many people, it’s so easy to put weight on, but it’s a lot harder to take it off. The Mayo Clinic recommends six strategies for successfully losing weight:
- Make the commitment: It takes time and effort to lose weight. Be sure you’re ready to make permanent changes to stay focused and adjust your lifestyle.
- Find motivation: Determine what you need to stay motivated and focused and consider finding people or a supportive group to help. If you want to do it on your own, keeping a journal of diet and exercise progress is helpful.
- Set realistic goals: Target a weight loss of one or two pounds per week, which is the equivalent of burning 500 to 1,000 calories more than you consume through a lower calorie diet and exercise.
- Enjoy healthier food: Eat more fruits, vegetable and whole grains and don’t skimp on breakfast.
- Get active and stay active: Be sure regular exercise is part of your schedule and add activity to your everyday routines. Use the stairs instead of the elevator and park far away from a store instead of up close.
- Change your perspective: Recognize habits that cause you to eat unhealthily and start adjusting these habits to make positive changes.
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission.