Eight Massachusetts Hospitals were recognized for their progress in implementing patient safety practices. The GIC hosted the presentations by the Leapfrog's Regional Employer Group, comprised of employers dedicated to improving patient safety. The feted hospitals have committed to the three Leapfrog patient safety standards, which are proven to reduce preventable medical errors in hospitals: computerized prescription orders, intensive care unit staffing by physicians certified in critical care medicine, and evidence-based referrals to hospitals that have extensive experience performing certain high-risk conditions and procedures.
Honored for meeting all 3 measures were:
- Brigham & Women's Hospital
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Honored for significant progress were:
- Baystate Medical Center of Springfield
- Berkshire Medical Center of Pittsfield
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- South Shore Hospital
For the latest patient safety progress of area hospitals, see the Leapfrog Group's web site.
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission.