- Find out what is and isn’t in patients’ control for controlling rising prescription drug costs.
Find out the causes of skyrocketing prescription drug costs and ways to manage your out-of-pocket costs.
When a brand-name drug's patent protection expires, the FDA can approve generic versions of the drug. Many brand-name drugs have already lost or are about to lose patent protection, which means more generics are coming into the marketplace.
Lipitor®, the best-selling drug in the world, became available as a generic at the end of November.
- The effectiveness of prescription drug advertising in changing behavior and tips for saving money on your prescription drug medications are described.
- If you are regularly taking medications for a chronic medical condition, such as asthma, high cholesterol or blood pressure, consider mail order. Not only is mail order/home delivery of your medications convenient, it will save you money. Depending on the tier of the drug you are taking, you will save $40 to $160 per year per prescription.
- Some GIC Plans have programs to encourage the use of safe, effective and less costly prescription drugs.
For most GIC Medicare enrollees, the drug coverage you currently have through your GIC health plan is a better value than a basic Medicare Part D drug plan. Additional information about Medicare Part D and your GIC coverage is listed here.
- For some people with high blood cholesterol, lifestyle changes are not enough to lower their cholesterol levels.
- How does a drug get approved for a plan's drug formulary?
- Your formulary lists the drugs that are available at lower co-payments.
- Increased utilization is the primary driver of exploding prescription drug costs.