When a brand-name drug's patent protection expires, the FDA can approve generic versions of the drug. Many brand-name drugs have already lost or are about to lose patent protection, which means more generics are coming into the marketplace.
Lipitor®, the best-selling drug in the world, became available as a generic at the end of November.
- The effectiveness of prescription drug advertising in changing behavior and tips for saving money on your prescription drug medications are described.
- If you are regularly taking medications for a chronic medical condition, such as asthma, high cholesterol or blood pressure, consider mail order. Not only is mail order/home delivery of your medications convenient, it will save you money. Depending on the tier of the drug you are taking, you will save $40 to $160 per year per prescription.
- Some GIC Plans have programs to encourage the use of safe, effective and less costly prescription drugs.
- GIC Medicare enrollees will receive multiple solicitations to join the new Medicare Part D prescription drug discount card program.
- For some people with high blood cholesterol, lifestyle changes are not enough to lower their cholesterol levels.
- How does a drug get approved for a plan's drug formulary?
- Your formulary lists the drugs that are available at lower co-payments.
- Increased utilization is the primary driver of exploding prescription drug costs.