Revised on May 10, 2012
What types of plans does the GIC offer employees and Non-Medicare retirees and survivors?
There are three types of plans: HMO, PPO-type and Indemnity. The current plan options are as follows:
- HMOs and HMO-type plans: Fallon Community Health Plan Direct, Fallon Community Health Plan Select, Harvard Pilgrim Primary Choice Plan, Health New England, NHP Care (Neighborhood Health Plan), and Tufts Spirit.
- PPO Type: Harvard Pilgrim Independence Plan, Tufts Health Plan Navigator, UniCare State Indemnity Plan/Community Choice and UniCare State Indemnity Plan/Plus.
- Indemnity: The UniCare State Indemnity Plan/Basic.
What types of plans does the GIC offer Medicare-eligible retirees?
- HMO: Fallon Senior Plan, Health New England MedPlus, Tufts Health Plan Medicare Complement and Tufts Health Plan Medicare Preferred
- Indemnity: Harvard Pilgrim Medicare Enhance and The UniCare State Indemnity Plan/Medicare Extension
Please note that the GIC is in the midst of a new health plan procurement; new plans may be added in 2013, and some of the current plans could change or end at that time.
Are Municipal Employers’ subscribers eligible for other GIC benefits?
No. Sections 19 and 23 address only health coverage. Other non-health benefits currently provided by Municipal Employers will continue to be their responsibility.
Since non-union charter schools and education collaborative subscribers join GIC health coverage through chapter 32A, not Chapter 32B, Section 19 or 23, are they eligible for other GIC benefits?
Yes. Certain local or regional entities – Commonwealth charter schools and non-union education collaboratives, regional planning agencies and regional councils of government may join the GIC by adopting chapter 32A. Entities that join GIC coverage through chapter 32A are eligible to receive other GIC state employee and retiree benefits. These entities may go to the Other Benefits section of this website now called GIC Health Insurance and Other Benefits for more information.
This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.