Updated May 28, 2015

Options are listed in order of recommendation selection. For all options, complete and return to your GIC Coordinator an Employment Status Change Form (Form-1AMUN).

Q) I am leaving municipal service; when does my GIC coverage end?
A) Your coverage ends the end of the month following the month you end municipal service, provided that your premium for that month is paid.

Q) I am leaving municipal service, but I am not vested in the retirement system and am not eligible for a municipal pension. May I continue my health insurance coverage?
A) Yes. If you are leaving municipal service for any reason other than termination for gross misconduct, you may continue your coverage or pick up other coverage with some limitations on time and/or benefit levels or you may obtain coverage through the Connector. Your options are as follows:

  • Commonwealth Health Connector health coverage (contact the Health Connector Authority for information and enrollment: 1.877.623.6765):

Benefits: A choice of health insurance options with different benefits and prices. Depending on which plan you choose, your monthly premium for the Health Connector could be lower than the monthly premium for COBRA or conversion coverage. Unlike COBRA coverage, Health Connector coverage does not have a maximum coverage period. You can continue coverage as long as you pay your premiums on time.
Drawbacks: Benefits may not be as comprehensive as the coverage you had through the GIC. If you enroll in Health Connector coverage, you are waiving your right to elect health insurance under the GIC's COBRA or conversion options. This option is only available for Massachusetts residents.

  • COBRA - health only. You have 60 days to elect COBRA coverage, but the coverage begins on the first day of the month after your coverage as an active employee ended. To avoid owing retroactive premiums, send in your COBRA application promptly to the GIC.

Benefits: Allows you to stay in the same health plan with the same benefits.
Drawbacks: You pay 100% of the premium, plus 2% for administration (no municipal contribution). Maximum coverage period is 18 months.

  • Convert to Non-Group health coverage with your current health plan (contact your health plan for the application):

Benefits: You can keep coverage indefinitely as long as you pay the premium.
Drawbacks: Benefits are almost always less comprehensive than GIC coverage.

Q) I am leaving municipal service, but I am not retiring. I am vested in the retirement system and I am eligible for a pension. I am leaving my retirement monies in the municipality's retirement system. How can I continue my health coverage with the GIC?
A) You may elect Deferred Retirement coverage provided you keep your money in the municipal or other GIC-eligible retirement system. At retirement, you may apply for GIC health coverage; the municipality will contribute its premium contribution in force at the time you retire. If you are not getting health coverage elsewhere when you leave, you may keep your health insurance, paying 100% of the premiums until retirement.

If you decide not to leave your money in the municipality's retirement system, or if it is transferred to a retirement system not eligible for GIC benefits, your eligibility for GIC benefits as a Deferred Retiree ends. You may elect to pick up health insurance through the Commonwealth Health Connector (Massachusetts residents).

Q) I am leaving municipal service and am eligible for a retirement pension.  How can I continue my health coverage with the GIC?
A) If you have been approved and continue to receive a retirement or pension allowance from a participating public retirement system and your municipality participates in the GIC, you are eligible for GIC health insurance coverage. See the Retirement Section for additional information.

If you elect not to retire, the GIC recommends that you elect Deferred Retirement coverage (see ten or more years of municipal service above).

Q) I am enrolled under the COBRA or Deferred Retirement provision. How do I cancel my coverage?
A) Complete the Enrollment/Change Form (Form-1MUN) and send to the GIC. Or, send a letter to the GIC requesting that your coverage be terminated. Include your name, address, and GIC ID number (usually your Social Security Number). Coverage will be terminated at the end of the month in which your premium is paid.

This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission .