Updated on December 30, 2014

  Not for municipalities

According to Massachusetts Law Chapter 32B, the following cities, towns and school districts participate in our Retired Municipal Teacher (RMT) benefit program. If your school district is not listed, contact your local benefit office for your district's benefit options and forms:

Q) When should I apply for coverage?
A) You should apply before your retirement date.  For example, if you are retiring in June, we suggest that you apply by June 15th. If you are retiring at the end of December, we suggest that you apply by December 15th. Applications received after 60 days of retirement will require certification of coverage through the city/town/school district at retirement and proof of involuntary loss of other health coverage.

Q) Where do I obtain the forms?
A) You obtain the forms from the insurance coordinator at your school department or on the forms section of this website. Be sure to submit the required documents outlined on the form with your application

Q) What are the requirements for changing coverage?
A) You may change from individual to family coverage or family to individual coverage by notifying the GIC and providing the information required. See the common family status change questions section for additional details.

If you wish to change from life insurance only to life and health coverage, you must wait until the GIC's next annual enrollment, unless you involuntarily lose coverage elsewhere.

If you wish to change from one health plan to another, you may only do so at annual enrollment or if you move outside your plan's service area.

Q) How do I change my beneficiary?
A) You may change beneficiaries at any time by completing a Beneficiary Designation (Form 319 for one to three beneficiaries; G-500 for four or more beneficiaries or special designations, such as estate and trusts). Call the GIC at 617.727.2310 Ext. 1 for the form.

Q) My municipality is joining the GIC.  What happens to my coverage?

A) You will continue to be eligible for GIC health insurance and will now be eligible for all GIC health plan options.  You must enroll in health coverage during the open enrollment period.  Municipalities are not eligible for GIC life insurance.  You will lose this coverage, but may be able to pick it up through the municipality.  Some municipalities participate in the GIC's retiree dental plan, see the Retiree Dental section for details.

Other Questions? Call the GIC's RMT Unit at 617.727.2310 extension 7064

This information provided by the Group Insurance Commission .