Q: I want to change my email address, mailing address, add my EMT license, and update other information; how do I do that?

A: Updating Your Account - Please click that link to update your information.

(Please Note: If you are on the current Mass. State Trooper eligible list resulting from the 2013 examination and you need to update your email address, mailing address, Veteran/Disabled Veteran status, or any other information, please contact their office directly: recruitment@pol.state.ma.us

Any failure or delay in correcting your information may impact your opportunities for appointment.

You must still file an Update Civil Service Online Account application in order to update your information on the 2013 Municipal & MBTA Police eligible list.)

Q: When will I receive my test results?

A: By law, results will be returned to you via email within 60 days of the exam date. Scores for the Entry-Level Firefighter exam are delayed because candidates must complete both components (written & ELPAT) to receive a mark. 

Q: What is Residency Preference and what do I need to know before making a claim on my application:?

A: Please review the following links for more information:

Civil Service Online Highlight of the Week - FIREFIGHTER & POLICE OFFICER OPEN ENTRY-LEVEL LISTS

Residency Preference Claim Selection Information

Q: What cities/towns/departments are covered by the Civil Service exams?  Are there age limits for certain departments?

Police Departments Covered by Civil Service as of August 31, 2017

Fire Departments Covered By Civil Service as of August 3, 2017

Q: How do I apply for Labor Service now, since there is no paper application?

A: Apply for Labor Service

Q: Why I am ranked so low on the eligible list? What does my rank number mean?

A: Please review Order of Persons on an Eligible List

Q: I was or still am in the military; how does that effect my candidacy?

A: Veteran & Active Duty Military Applicant Information

Q: I have a Yahoo! or Google email address, and I have not received my Notice to Appear email - what do I do?

A: Please check all of your email folders - inbox, junk, spam, business, etc - to ensure it is somewhere in your received emails.  If you still cannot find it, please check your email settings to allow emails from "@state.ma.us" addresses into your inbox directly, as some accounts will delete what they consider SPAM before it even reaches your email folders. 


All vacancy notices issued will be sent via e-mail.  Candidates should check their e-mail often (both their Inbox and SPAM folders) in order to ensure that they do not miss any potential opportunities.  If your email address changes in the future, please log on to your account via Civil Service Online, and click Edit Personal Information in order to update your email address in a timely fashion.  It is your responsibility to maintain up-to-date contact information in your account.

Q: What is E/E Credit for entry-level exams?

A: Entry-Level Employment/Experience Credit FAQs

Q: What should I do if I want to appeal my E&E Credit for a promotional exam?

A: Promotional Education & Experience Credit Appeals - FAQs

For more information on upcoming/current examinations, please see Examination Information