Amended: Due to a legislative change (MGL Chapter 31 § 58) regarding the minimum age to take the exam for Municipal Police Officer and MBTA Transit Police, if you were between the ages of 19 and 21 on March 25, 2017, you are now eligible to take the exam for Municipal Police and Transit Police (MBTA). The last day to apply is May 23, 2017. To be considered for employment during the life of the list resulting from this examination, individuals need to be 21 years of age. This change in statute only applies to Municipal and Transit Police, NOT State Trooper. Please disregard references to State Trooper otherwise mentioned in this poster. The exam date will be June 24, 2017.
Written Examination Date: June 24, 2017 Application Deadline: May 23, 2017 Written Examination Fee: $100 Location: Various Sites across the state Eligibility: Entry-level, open to public Notices to Appear for Written Exam Sent: June 9, 2017 Score Release Date: TBD Employment/Experience (E/E) Last Day to Appeal: TBD List Established Date: TBD
To Apply for the Municipal Police Officer and MBTA Transit Police Officer Exam:
- Click Massachusetts Civil Service Exam & Labor Service Applications
- Find 2017 Police Officer and Trooper Exam Application
- Click “Apply” to log in your account and apply for the posting!
Be careful not to apply to the wrong exam posting!
Please ensure that your email address is up to date on your account. If you need to change anything on your account, please follow the instructions: Updating Your Account
Once the list is established you may see your rankings here: 2017 Police Officer
The following are general steps in the hiring process for Municipal Police Officer positions:
1. Police Department contacts Civil Service Unit for list of eligible candidates.
2. Based on number of vacancies the Civil Service Unit releases a group of candidates to the Police Department for consideration. All parties are contacted by email.
3. Police Department begins the hiring process which may include the following;
a. Candidate fills out extensive employment packet
b. Background investigation
Once a candidate receives a conditional offer, the following steps are for all candidates;
a. Medical exam
b. Initial-Hire Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
Police Departments send candidates to the Police Academy for further training. Please contact those departments you are interested in for more information.
For information on State Trooper, please visit Massachusetts State Police.