PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Massachusetts law (G.L. Chapter 31, Sec. 58) permits cities and towns to ask that residents be placed on entry-level police and firefighter eligible lists before nonresidents. A "resident" is a person who has lived in the same city or town for the full year before the date of the examination. For example, if you took an examination on April 16, 2016, you would have to live in a single city or town from April 16, 2015 to April 16, 2016 to claim residency.
- Your residence, for the purpose of civil service law, is the place where you actually lived and intended as your permanent home. A temporary living place, such as a summer cottage, a school dormitory, a relative's or friend's house or apartment, etc., is not a residence.
- If you live at college during the school year, you may claim as your permanent residence that place where you reside during the rest of the year.
- If you were in the military, you may use the city or town where you lived when you entered the military if you returned to that city or town after you left the military, or, if you are still in the military, you intend to return to that city or town.
- If you move to another city or town at any time during the year before the examination, you do not qualify for residency preference in any city or town.
CONSIDER THIS CLAIM AS PART OF THE EXAMINATION. DO NOT MAKE A MISTAKE IN YOUR RESIDENCE PREFERENCE CLAIM. IF YOU DO NOT FILL OUT THIS QUESTION CORRECTLY, YOUR NAME WILL NOT APPEAR ON CERTIFIED LISTS FOR APPOINTMENT, AND YOU MAY MISS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES. WE MAY NOT ADD YOUR NAME TO AN OUTSTANDING CERTIFIED LIST IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE. CITIES AND TOWNS INVESTIGATE APPLICANTS FOR FIRE AND POLICE POSITIONS. IF THEY FIND YOU ARE A NON-RESIDENT, THEY WILL NOT HIRE YOU AS A RESIDENT AND WILL REQUEST THAT YOUR PREFERENCE BE CANCELED.
*NOTE – Not all candidates will be eligible for appointment in all municipalities; please review all the eligibility requirements at the following locations:
- Age Requirement for Entry-Level Public Safety Positions
- Fire Departments Covered By Civil Service as of August 3, 2017
- Police Departments Covered by Civil Service as of August 31, 2017
Please also see: Certification Order of Lists
Please also note that, for each municipality, the current Firefighter and Police Officer Open Entry-Level Eligible List of Residents only will be available to view in Civil Service Online
*Please Note: Changing your mailing address does NOT change/update your Residency Preference claim. They are separate entities in your Civil Service account.
This information provided by the Human Resources Division .