- All municipalities and medical providers must use the current version of the Human Resources Division (HRD) Medical Examination Forms when conducting a medical examination for a Physical Abilities Test (PAT). All medical examinations must be conducted according to HRD's revised medical standards. HRD's revised medical forms and medical standards can be downloaded from our web site's Medical Standards Information section.
- All candidates must undergo a medical examination according to hrd's revised medical standards prior to taking a pat preview and/or pat (actual test). Medical examinations can only be conducted by a police or fire department's physician or by an occupational health facility that the department utilizes. Candidates cannot use their own primary physician for the pat medical examination.
- Candidates must be on time for his/her PAT Preview and/or PAT (actual test). Candidates must report to the test site 30 minutes prior to their scheduled test time in order to be screened by a EMT and to fill out PAT test forms.
- CANCELLATIONS: Candidates must notify Civil Service at least 24 hrs. in advance if unable to attend the PAT Preview and/or PAT (actual test).
- WHAT TO BRING TO THE TEST SITE ON DAY OF THE PAT PREVIEW: Photo ID and a pen to fill out paperwork.
- WHAT TO BRING TO THE TEST SITE ON DAY OF THE PAT (actual test): Photo ID, a pen to fill out PAT test forms, and a bank check or money order made payable to the "Commonwealth of Massachusetts" for $150.00. We DO NOT accept cash or personal checks.
- IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HIRING POLICE OR FIRE DEPARTMENT TO NOTIFY THE CANDIDATE OF HIS/HER TEST TIME.
- TEST SITE: NO ONE IS ALLOWED ON THE TEST COURSE EXCEPT FOR THE CANDIDATES, PAT PERSONNEL, AND CIVIL SERVICE/HRD STAFF. THE TEST COURSE IS CLOSED (Off Limits) TO ALL POLICE/FIRE PERSONNEL, FRIENDS AND RELATIVES OF THE CANDIDATE, NEWS MEDIA, AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC - STRICTLY ENFORCED!
- Candidates who show up for a PAT Preview and/or PAT (actual test) without being scheduled by the Civil Service Unit/HRD will not be allowed to take the PAT Preview or PAT under any circumstances.
- The Civil Service Unit/HRD reserves the right to postpone a PAT Preview and/or PAT (actual test), or transfer candidates from one PAT to another scheduled PAT if necessary.
- CANCELLATIONS DUE TO WEATHER: PAT cancellations can be heard on WBZ News Radio 1030AM beginning at 5AM on the day before OR on the day of the PAT. Candidates can also call (617) 878-9895 for a voice recording of PAT cancellations beginning at 4:45AM on the day of the scheduled PAT.
- Adverse Weather Policy for PAT
- 2015 PAT Schedule
Last Update: June 2, 2015
- 2016 PAT Schedule
Last Update: November 17, 2015
- Please note that dates are subject to change; check back for updates.