The Government Services program works to ensure that Massachusetts' policies and practices are consistent with state and federal laws. This unit works with other facets of state government on behalf of the needs of people with disabilities to resolve problems before they turn to crisis. some of the activities are described below.
Inter-Agency Disability Services Coordinating Council (David D'Arcangelo, Chair): This Council was created by Executive Order 352. It has met since late 1994. Heads of agencies providing disability or disability related services comprise this body. The Council serves to:
- Improve the accessibility and delivery of services;
- Evaluate and monitor the system by which services are delivered and coordinate and develop recommendations for streamlining;
- Identify functions which would be more efficient if consolidated or eliminated;
- Make recommendations and reports to the Governor from time to time;
- Coordinate with the Governors Special Commission on Disability Policy.
Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator: MOD coordinates the Executive Department of the Commonwealth's efforts to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. ( Executive Order 526 ) It is the touchstone within Massachusetts government for technical assistance, trouble-shooting and advice on all disability related issues. All entities of state government are required to comply with the provisions of the ADA. Under the ADA, entities of state and local governments are required to make all of their programs, activities and services accessible. This includes both physical access for people who have mobility impairments and communication access for people with vision, hearing and cognitive disabilities. MOD maintains list of individuals assigned to be ADA Coordinators in state agencies and each municipality.
MOD is also the designated State Affiliate of the New England ADA & Accessible IT Center, part of a federally funded network of ADA National Centers.
Other Key Boards and Commissions:
- Access Advisory Committee of the MBTA
- Architectural Access Board
- Department of Corrections - ADA Task Force
- Department of Education's Special Education Advisory Council
- Department of Transportation ADA Task Force
- Developmental Disabilities Council
- E911 Board
- E911 Equipment Distribution Program
- Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency - Shelter Project Management Team
- Mass. Enterprise Security Board, the Information and Technology Division
- Model Employer Taskforce
- New England ADA Technical Assistance Center
- Rehabilitation Council of Mass Commission for the Blind
- Rehabilitation Council of Mass Rehab Commission
- Statewide Independent Living Council
- Statewide Personal Care Attendant Coalition
- Universal Access Committee
Cooperative on-going efforts with other agencies:
- Administrative Office of the Trial Courts
- Department of Capital Asset Management
- Mass Commission for the Blind - Rehabilitation Council
- Mass Rehabilitation Commission - Rehabilitation Council
- Office of the Attorney General - Disability Rights Project
- Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth - Voting Access
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.