Managers/Supervisors who are time approvers in Employee Self Service have the ability to delegate their time approval responsibilities to another Manager/Supervisor for situations in which they will be out of the office or unable to approve their employee’s time.
As an approver you can delegate to another employee based on your Agency’s policy. You still have the ability to log in to HR/CMS and review your employee’s time during the delegation period; however, you will not be able to approve or edit time. You can revoke the delegation at any time, if needed.
Delegation Functionality in Employee Self-Service
When delegating time approval to another Manager/Supervisor:
- Ensure the time approval responsibilities follow the hierarchical reporting structure and delegation policy of your department.
- Inform the selected proxy of your Time Reporter Group. This allows them to filter on your direct reports. Note: Time Reporter Group is a system generated number that is tied to your direct report employees and is defaulted on the Time and Labor Work Center and Timesheet.
- Ensure the time approval delegation is only for a set period of time (for Example, if you are on vacation). It is not designed to allow permanent delegation of time approval responsibilities.
Note: Group ID is a system generated number that is tied to your direct report employees and is defaulted on the Time and Labor Workcenter.
- Agency Human Resources or Payroll Offices and the MassHR Employee Service Center will monitor the use of time approval delegation.
- Delegation of time approval responsibilities happens in real time and cannot be retroactively assigned.
- The deadline for time approval is each Friday at 12:00PM; if you approve time for employees who work 2nd or 3rd shift on Friday or anytime Saturday, the deadline for time approval is Sunday at 6:00PM.
- During the delegation time period, the delegate will appear on reports as the approver for your employees and will receive system notifications for time approval, if applicable.
- During the delegation time period, the delegator will not receive emails regarding unapproved or unreported time.
- During the delegation time period, the proxy will not be able to delegate to another employee.
Before You Begin
There are three types of access which may be required by proxies. Determining the access that your proxy requires will determine the transactions which you will delegate and any additional actions which may be required.
- Defined Delegation – Should be used when a time approver is unavailable to approve and/or report their employee’s time for a defined period of time (ie. Vacation, Sick Leave, etc.)
- To delegate to a proxy, select both transaction types, Manage Reported Time and Manage Approve Reported Time.
- The delegator will have the ability to view their direct reports’ time but will not have the ability to report or approve hours.
- Time Schedulers – Should be used by selected employees who manage employees’ timesheets and prepare them for approval by a time approver
- To delegate to a Time Scheduler, select only transaction type, Manage Reported Time.
- Shared Responsibility – Should be requested for employees who need to have the ability to approve and/or report employees’ time in addition to the time approver (ie. Multiple Supervisors, Administrative Support)
- To request Shared Responsibility, complete the Shared Responsibility Security Request Form, select the MA_TIMESHEET_APPROVER_OVERRIDE role and submit the form to CTR-Statewide-Payroll@MassMail.State.MA.US .
- The proxy will be notified by e-mail if the request is approved and will need to accept the delegation.
In this Job Aid you will learn how to Delegate Time Approval Authority for Defined Delegation and Time Schedulers.
Log in to Employee Self-Service using your user ID (employee ID) and password.
From the Employee Self-Service homepage, click on the MY TEAM tab.
Next Click on Main Menu, Self-Service, then Manage Delegation.
|2.||Click the Create Delegation Request link.|
Note: If you have multiple Commonwealth jobs, refer to step 3. If you do not, proceed to step 4.
A table listing your job records is displayed. The table is arranged in 4 columns of information and a row for each job. The columns are:
TITLE: The title of your job displayed as a link.
Select the job record you want to delegate approvals for by selecting the TITLE link of the correct job.
The Create Delegation Request Page will display. Enter the dates of your delegation request.
The From Date will default to the current date. Enter a FROM DATE that is today or later. Enter a TO DATE that is the same as or later than your From Date.
Your delegation can be future dated, if needed. Click the NEXT button.
For Defined Delegation, click the checkboxes beside Manage Approve Reported Time and Manage Reported Time or Select All.
For Time Schedulers, click only the checkbox beside Manage Reported Time.
Click the NEXT button.
A prepopulated list of employee in your hierarchy appears. Select the desired proxy by clicking the radio button next to the employee’s name.
(Note: If the employee you want to delegate to is not listed within the displayed list, click Search by Name. Type the last name of the proxy into the last name field, click the Search button. Select the proxy from the new list that appears by clicking the radio button next to the employee’s name.)
Click the NEXT button.
Review the delegation request.
If all the information is correct, Click the Submit button.
You will receive confirmation that the delegation request was submitted.
Click the OK button.
Refer to the REVIEW MY PROXIES page under MANAGE DELEGATION to view the status of the request.
The proxy you selected will now have the ability to ACCEPT or REJECT your Delegation request in their MANAGE DELEGATION page under REVIEW MY DELEGATED AUTHORITIES page. They may reject the request. However, after they accept the request, they will have to contact either you or a system administrator to revoke the request.
Last Updated: August 12, 2015