The Massachusetts Office on Disability (MOD), is pleased to announce the Municipal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Improvement Grant Program application and selection process. Eligible applicants include any Massachusetts city, town, special purpose district and/or regional governmental organization (hereinafter referred to as “Applicants.”) These grants will support capital improvements specifically dedicated to improving programmatic access and/or removing barriers encountered by persons with disabilities in Applicant facilities throughout the Commonwealth. Grants of up to $250,000 will be awarded to successful Applicants to remove barriers and create and improve accessible features and programmatic access for persons with disabilities throughout the Commonwealth.
Examples include but are not limited to increasing both physical access and programmatic access through the addition of features such as: ramps, elevators, power lifts and Limited Use/Limited Application (LULAs), signage, communication access devices, curb cuts and/or any other features that are designed to improve architectural access and/or programmatic access. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis to projects that demonstrate real and tangible positive impacts to persons with disabilities.
Municipalities that have signed, or are willing to sign, a Community Compact (CC) and selected the "Public Accessibility Best Practice" option will be provided priority for grant funding. Every City or Town in the Commonwealth is eligible to apply. Grants will be awarded to projects that demonstrate that they will have a real and tangible positive impact to persons with disabilities. Planning Grants will also be available for applicants that have not yet met the Administrative Requirements set forth in Title II of the ADA and do not have Self-Evaluation or Transitions Plans.
Application Process and Deadlines; Year 1 Application period is from February 6, 2017 through June 30, 2017. All Year 1, FY17 grants must be submitted in hard-copy.
Additionally, we will also be conducting a grant overview meeting, scheduled for April 28, 2017 from 10am-11am , 1 Ashburton Place, Room 1306 Boston, at which we will provide technical assistance regarding the grant program.
Thank you for your interest in improving access for persons with disabilities. We look forward to working with you.
- Municipal ADA Improvement Grants Program - Application Instructions
- Municipal ADA Improvement Grants Program - Planning Grant Application
This application is for the Planning Grant related to the creation or update of a municipalities Self-Evaluation and Transition Plan.
- Municipal ADA Improvement Grants Program - Project Grant Application
This application is for the Project Grant related to the removal of architectural barriers or new construction.
- Municipal ADA Improvement Grants Program - Addenda
Contact Information for Questions:
- For questions relative to the administration and application process, please contact Evan Bjorklund, General Counsel.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 617-727-7440 extension 27324
- For questions regarding specifics on disability related policies and procedures and Self-Evaluation and Transition Plan particulars, please contact Jeffrey Dougan, Assistant Director for Community Services.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 617-727-7440 extension 27316
- All FY2017 applications must be submitted to the following email address: MOD-Grants@massmail.state.ma.us