Contractor: W.T. Rich Company, Inc.
Project Type: CM at Risk
Study and Project Designer: Perry Dean Rogers Partners Architects
Gross Square Feet: 72,024 sq. ft. (upon completion, including new addition)
Estimated Project Cost: $60,000,000.00
Est. Substantial Completion Date: March 2017
The Salem Family and Probate Court building consists of two major components: a historically-significant neoclassical structure built in 1909 and a modernist addition to that building, constructed in 1979. This project involves a complete overhaul of the 1909 building as well as demolition and replacement of the 1979 addition with a new addition that will be better-suited to the space and program requirements of the court functions to be housed therein.
The renovated facility (1909 building plus new addition) will include program space for hearing rooms, archive / record storage, probation activities, probate functions, four courtrooms and associated public waiting areas. It will also contain judges’ chambers, staff areas and library / conference space.
The building will be integrated with the adjacent Ruane Judicial Center as part of a campus approach to operation, management and maintenance by the Executive Office of the Trial Court as well as serve as the headquarters of the court’s regional facilities management and maintenance functions.
- Complete overhaul of 1909 building including preservation and restoration of historically-significant features
- Demolition of 1979 addition and replacement with new addition better-suited to current and anticipated needs
- Significant effort in creating an efficient and sustainable end product (LEED Silver)
- Entire facility to be completely accessible
- Four new courtrooms (including reconstruction of historically-significant Courtroom #1 in the 1909 building)
- This project makes full use of BIM to minimize or eliminate coordination changes and associated costs, court functions and records have been temporarily relocated to Shetland Park (approximately one mile away) for duration of the project
- Two court functions and records have been temporarily relocated to Shetland park (approx. one mile away) for the duration of the project
This plan view shows the present state of the building with the new addition superimposed in blue. The greyed-out areas to the left (west) and right (east) are the Ruane Judicial Center and the former Superior Court building, respectively.
This shows the present state of the building looking south-southeast towards the 1979 addition from the north side of Bridge Street (near the location of the new MBTA parking garage). The 1979 addition is being demolished and replaced with a new addition as part of this project.
This shows the present state of the building looking northwest towards the original, historically-significant 1909 building from Federal Street. The 1909 building is being refurbished as part of this project. A portion of the 1979 addition is visible in the right of the photograph behind the tree. The building at the left of the picture is the Ruane Judicial Center.
Abatement (removal and proper disposal of potentially hazardous building materials) was the first task undertaken. This photo shows an area inside the 1909 building that has been gutted following abatement. The black plastic receptacles contain potentially hazardous material (removed under full containment to prevent it from getting airborne) prior to its removal from the site. Some of the containment (plastic sheeting on the windows) is still in place and is visible. Towards the rear of the space additional plastic sheeting is visible – this is the containment area of the 1979 addition beyond (abatement of the 1979 addition interior was actively occurring on the other side of the barrier at the time this photo was taken).
This shows the upper floor of the original 1909 building interior following gutting and abatement. Some of the polyethylene sheeting containment used during abatement is still in place (visible at the rear of the area). The windows are historically significant and will be replaced with new high-efficiency windows under this project, identical in size and style / appearance to those being removed.
Plastic receptacles containing potentially hazardous building materials are removed from the building, cataloged and removed from the site to be properly disposed of. This photo shows the junction between the original 1909 building (brick, to left of image) and the 1979 addition (concrete, to right of image). The demolition contractor has started to separate the buildings (top of image) prior to demolition of the 1979 addition superstructure.
Following abatement and removal of all salvageable / recyclable materials, demolition of the superstructure of the 1979 addition begins. A worker on a boom lift sprays water on the area to control dust.
Salem Probate and Family Court Building Renovation Rendering