Designer: Goody Clancy
Construction Manager: Walsh Brothers
Project Type: CM at Risk
Est. Preliminary Project Cost: $182 million
Gross Square Feet: approx. 220,000
Est. Substantial Completion Date: Fall 2014
This project came about as a result of aging, undersized and outmoded research facilities at UMass Boston and the desire of the facility to enrich and invest in its research programs. Objectives for this state of the art research lab building include creating:
A signature building expressing the commitment to science research and teaching
- A building that will support the programs in a flexible manner as needs and requirements evolve
- A comfortable workplace for the building's occupants
- A facility which will help the University attract and retain the best students and faculty in the science departments
- A sustainable building that UMass Boston will be able to maintain and operate economically
Additionally, there will be an animal research facility, a public lobby / café, and a "sandbox lab" intended to encourage both undergraduate science and non-science major use.
- Physics and Engineering
- Environmental, Earth and Ocean Science (EEOS)
- Developmental Sciences Research Center
- Center for Personalized Cancer Therapy
The Groundbreaking Ceremony for this project took place on June 8, 2011.
A web camera to this project site is available at www.umb.edu/news_events_media/construction/isc_webcam/
Building erection begins at UMass Boston
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.