Designer: designLAB and Austin Architects
Construction Manager: Consigli Construction Co.
Project Type: CM at Risk
Project Cost: $43 million
Gross Square Feet: 152,000 (Existing) + 26,000 (Addition)
Est. Substantial Completion Date: December 2012
This project added both a new entry space to the existing library, and a renovated and updated state-of-the-art collegiate library for UMass Dartmouth..
Designed by noted architect, Paul Rudolph, this building served the campus well since its construction in 1973. However the entry had always been seen as un-welcoming and progress in state of the art library technologies and services have outpaced the building. Funded in part by a major donation, this project was undertaken to provide a new, more attractive and welcoming entry that creates a whole new face for the Library. In the library itself, the new information systems typically found in a modern library are now better accommodated in proper settings. Additionally the mechanical and electrical systems in the building were completely replaced by the most recent technological and energy efficient systems.
The project represented the combined efforts of two architectural firms, both with extensive experience with library design. Begun as two projects, the renovation and addition were combined into a single project under DCAMM's direction.
- A new addition that includes a modern entry and a major social gathering space for the campus
- Complete accessibility, including a revamped site approach to the building
- State-of-the-art computer access to electronically available information
- Significantly upgraded computer networks within the building
- New and substantially more efficient mechanical and electrical systems
- Replacement of all the elevators
- Improved study spaces embracing the idea of collaborative learning
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.