This Executive Order 484 builds on a number of the Division of Capital Asset Management and Maintenance's (DCAMM's) current initiatives, while setting more specific and far-reaching targets for state facilities. Specific goals and objectives of particular importance to DCAMM are outlined below.
All Commonwealth agencies as a whole, and to the greatest extent feasible individually, shall meet the following goals by 2012:
- 25% greenhouse gas emission reductions from 2002 levels
- 20% energy reduction per square foot from 2004 levels
- 15% of energy consumption procured from renewable energy sources (either through purchase of renewable energy or through installation of on-site resources)
- 10% reduction in water use from 2006 levels
(Note: Larger goals for greenhouse gas emission reductions, energy use reductions, renewable energy consumption and water reduction are targeted for 2020 and 2050.)
- All new construction and major renovation over 20,000 square feet must meet MassLEED Plus requirements. All new construction under 20,000 square feet must meet MassLEED Plus, achieve 20% above the Mass Energy Code, or meet the Advanced Buildings energy criteria.
DCAMM is charged with:
- Initiating comprehensive large-scale energy efficiency projects at all appropriate facilities over 100,000 square feet.
- Undertaking "retro-commissioning" at all applicable buildings over 50,000 square feet
- Considering energy performance in siting and procuring leased space
- Developing a facility maintenance program for lighting and HVAC systems
- Supporting training of client agency personnel on energy, water and sustainable practices
- Assisting in the development of an Energy Information System to track agency energy use
DCAMM is already implementing projects to achieve the goals of this Executive Order.