Success in managing pests depends upon a collaborative effort of the Division of Capital Asset Management and Maintenance (DCAMM) management, building staff, contractors, food service personnel, the pest control contractor and employees. Procedures include education; minimizing sources of food, water and access; and requiring a prompt proactive response to complaints by employees and the Pest Control Contractor.
It is the policy of DCAMM to ensure that all office spaces and common spaces are free of pests by educating its contractors and customers, following IPM procedures in accordance with Executive Order 403, and successfully managing its pest control contract; and to adopt and implement Executive Order No. 403, entitled Integrated Pest Management for Massachusetts State Agencies.
• Ensuring that food is not left in desks or on desktops or other areas accessible to pests
• Keeping individual workstations clean.
• Removing recycled cans and bottles from offices daily
• Providing and using plastic or metal container with tight-fitting lids for the storage of organic material that agencies have a special need to retain
• Reporting any pest problems or conditions conducive to pest problems to the Facility Manager office at (413) 346-9120.
EDUCATION MEASURES TO REDUCE FOOD CLUTTER, ETC:
DCAMM Management responsibilities to make customers more aware include
• Educating customer agencies and employees of their responsibilities eliminate food sources that attract and sustain insects and rodents in the workplace
• Educating cleaning personnel of their responsibility to eliminate food residues and to use thorough housekeeping practices in the workplace
• Educating personnel responsible for refuse management and recycling of their responsibilities to keep containers, and container areas scrupulously clean, and to ensure consistent and regular removal and disposal
• Educating building tenants of their responsibilities to provide organizational sanitation by eliminating excess paper, recycle paper and boxes for prompt removal, store materials off of the floor and away from wall and maintain closets and files with minimal clutter
Contact Springfield State Office Building, Facility Management Office to report pest activity.