The State Library holds a large collection of annual reports of Massachusetts towns and cities dating back to the nineteenth century. The collection of town reports is mandated by Massachusetts General Laws chapter 40, sections 49 and 50. Although city reports are not covered under this statute, the Library maintains a historic collection of reports from many cities in the Commonwealth.
In addition to these official records, the Library has many materials related to Massachusetts towns and cities, including a large collection of town and county histories. Our Special Collections Department has city and town directories for many municipalities in the Commonwealth, 18th and 19th century tax valuation records, and a sizeable collection of atlases.
- Massachusetts Town and City Reports available at the State Library
- Massachusetts Town Documents available in Library's DSpace electronic repository
- City and Town Directories
- Tax Valuations
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
- Massachusetts City and Town By-laws
This information is provided by The State Library of Massachusetts.