|Download these layers (6.5 MB)|
(Shapefiles with ArcGIS .lyrs)
MassGIS derived the boundaries of the 14 counties in Massachusetts from the community boundaries layers. Datasets include:
- COUNTIESSURVEY_POLYM - multi-part polygons, with one feature per county, created from the Community Boundaries (Towns) from Survey Points polygons.
- COUNTIESSURVEY_ARC - line features, created from the Community Boundaries (Towns) from Survey Points arcs.
- COUNTIES_POLY - contains the 1:100,000 coastline (from the TOWNS coverage); single-part polygons, with each county comprising one or more features.
- COUNTIES_POLYM - multi-part polygons, with one feature per county, created from the Community Boundaries (Towns) multi-part polygon layer; contains the 1:100,000 coastline.
- COUNTIES_ARC - line features, created from the Community Boundaries (Towns) arcs; contains the 1:100,000 coastline.
- COUNTYNC_POLY - contains the full municipal boundaries extending offshore, created from the Community Boundaries (Towns) Without Coast layer.
For locations of the counties please see the Counties Index Map file size 2MB .
Using ArcInfo, the community boundaries layers as listed above were dissolved based on the FIPS_STCO field. Polygons were converted to linear features and coded for OUTLINE as described below in the Attributes section.
The polygon layers contain these fields:
The FIPS_ID - COUNTY pairs are as follows:
FIPS_ID Federal Information Processing Standard state/county code COUNTY County name POP1980 1980 Population POP1990 1990 Population POP2000 2000 Population POP2010 2010 Population POPCH80_90 1980-1990 Population Change POPCH90_00 1990-2000 Population Change POPCH00_10 2000-2010 Population Change SQ_MILES Area in square miles SQ_KM Area in square kilometers
The line (arc) layers contain the OUTLINE field, coded as follows:
FIPS_ID COUNTY 25001 BARNSTABLE 25003 BERKSHIRE 25005 BRISTOL 25007 DUKES 25009 ESSEX 25011 FRANKLIN 25013 HAMPDEN 25015 HAMPSHIRE 25017 MIDDLESEX 25019 NANTUCKET 25021 NORFOLK 25023 PLYMOUTH 25025 SUFFOLK 25027 WORCESTER
Boundary Type COUNTIESSURVEY_ARC COUNTIES_ARC State 1 1 County 2 9 Coastline 4 2
MassGIS is maintaining these layers.
Last Updated 11/20/2014
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.